Home > SAT Test > SAT Writing and Language Practice Tests
See All test questions
Take more free SAT Writing and Language Practice Tests available from cracksat.net.
For Figs? The Chimps
Aren't Chumps Sometimes as you fall asleep, you're thinking about what to eat for breakfast the next morning. "When I get up, I'll go to the fridge. I'll have an egg, 1 a piece of toast, and a few strips of bacon while I'm making coffee." Even though you may know where your food is coming from, you plan breakfast as a way to plan the day.
Our species may have been doing this kind of breakfast planning long before refrigerators, long before our species was even our species. A team of researchers recently followed groups of chimpanzees through three periods of fruit scarcity in West Africa. 2 For a chimpanzee, every day during a fruit-poor season can be like Black Friday, where all the "shoppers" want the same hot item.
2. At this point, the author wants to add a sentence that accurately summarizes the scientists' research in a way that is consistent with other information in the passage. Which sentence would most effectively achieve that goal?
3 Why does everyone freak out during Black Friday when the deals aren't even that good? If you want to be sure to get the new, say, plasma TV, what do you have to do? Camp out in front of the store! Well, that's exactly what the researchers found the chimpanzees to do with the coveted fruits. In fruit-poor seasons, 4 the nomadic chimpanzees set up their campsites within striking distance of the ripe fruits. When the fruits were 5 "_________," or quick to disappear, the female chimpanzees set up their sleeping nests more pointedly in the direction of the fruit 6 than the fruit was plentiful. Moreover, in order to ensure that the fruit supply would not be 7 gobbled by the time the chimps got there, they woke up early, often before sunrise, when the forests were still dark.
3. Which of the following would provide the best transition from the previous paragraph and introduction to this paragraph?
5. Which of the following provides the most precise word given the definition that immediately follows?
The findings about the chimp 8 has led scientists to reopen a number of heated questions. The first has to do with animals' existence outside the present moment: how much do they remember, and how much do they plan? In other words, is "consciousness" really only 9 the province of humans? The other set of questions has to do with the lines of evolution. It has been firmly established that chimpanzees are our evolutionary ancestors, but now we have to wonder if we've inherited even more 10 than we thought from them initially. Have the lives of chimpanzees conditioned the small, day-to-day patterns of our own lives?
While such questions may seem purely academic and conceptual, they actually have a good deal to do with our lived experience. We learn more and more about what we share with other animals—and with each discovery, we learn a new way to relate to the world around us.
11. Suppose the author's goal had been to present an argument that suggests Black Friday shopping is an animalistic behavior. Would the information in this essay support that argument?
* SAT is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.
All content of site and practice tests copyright © 2016 Max.sitemap
contactlink to us