See All test questions
Take more free SAT World history practice tests available from cracksat.net.
1. With which statement would an adherent to the philosophy of cynicism be MOST likely to agree?
A. All human beings are part of a common brotherhood.B. Inner peace can be found by seeking pleasure and avoiding pain.C. Individuals have an inherent responsibility to help others.D. Life should be lived simply and without material attachments.E. Conducting oneself virtuously is the key to living a good life.
2. The world peacekeeping organization known as the League of Nations and its successor, the United Nations, are MOST different in that the
A. League of Nations originated with many more nationsB. League of Nations excluded the nations it viewed as troublesomeC. United Nations formed a military division to enforce its policiesD. United Nations was founded to help bring an end to an active warE. League of Nations included several separate administrative bodies
3. In 1521 Hernán Cortés led the Spanish conquest of which Mesoamerican culture?
A. AztecB. IncaC. OlmecD. MayaE. Toltec
4. "Wild and blasphemous ideas of God are formed because man has wandered away from the unchangeable laws of science, and the right use of reason; and because something called revealed religion was invented."
The above statement MOST reflects the ideology of which intellectual movement?
A. HumanismB. MaterialismC. DeismD. UtilitarianismE. Idealism
5. The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere was primarily designed by Japan to
A. end Japanese reliance on Western supportB. limit the spread of communism in AsiaC. free Asian nations from imperial controlD. establish its own empire throughout AsiaE. secure an adequate supply of raw materials
6. The Greek philosopher who developed a teaching methodology based on systematic questioning was
A. AristotleB. EpicurusC. PlatoD. DemocritusE. Socrates
7. While they controlled China, the Mongols were unsuccessful in their attempts to extend their empire into Southeast Asia primarily because
A. their incursions were met with heavy resistanceB. the terrain was too difficult to navigateC. they lacked the manpower to overcome local forcesD. the regional climate was extremely inhospitableE. they had insufficient resources for long campaigns
8. The written language of the Mycenaeans was based on that of the
A. MinoansB. PhoeniciansC. BabyloniansD. HittitesE. Assyrians
9. Which of these BEST describes the type of protectorate commonly found in imperial-controlled Africa?
A. A region directly controlled by a foreign powerB. A region considered an administrative subdivision of another countryC. A region allowed to maintain its government while under imperial controlD. A region controlled by a private business instead of a foreign governmentE. A region over which another nation holds exclusive trade rights
10. Which of these does NOT accurately describe a similarity between the peoples of ancient Egypt and the Indus River valley?
A. They practiced polytheistic religion.B. They drove out a foreign occupation force.C. They developed a stratified social structure.D. They made significant architectural advances.E. They depended on agriculture for survival.
11. During their conquest of Mesoamerica, the Spaniards utilized the encomienda system, which allowed them to
A. compel the natives out of settlements and off the landB. require the natives to pledge allegiance under penalty of deathC. pay the natives to fight on Spain's behalfD. require the natives pay tribute and perform laborE. encourage mass migration of the native peoples
12. Which of these was the most important point of agreement between Woodrow Wilson's Fourteen Points and the Treaty of Versailles?
A. Germany should relinquish control of its African colonies.B. An international peacekeeping organization should be established.C. Trade barriers between nations should be reduced.D. Germany should be forced to accept full responsibility for the war.E. Freedom of the seas should be guaranteed in both peace and wartime.
13. The separation of the Shia sect of Islam from the larger Sunni sect was primarily the result of disputes over the
A. treatment of women in Muslim societyB. differing interpretations of the KoranC. Umayyad preoccupation with wealth acquisitionD. trade practices with nearby culturesE. line of succession following the death of Muhammad
14. Which factor contributed the MOST to the rise of the Fascist Party under Benito Mussolini in Italy?
A. Increased sense of nationalism among ItaliansB. Oppressive policies of the existing Italian governmentC. Frustration with Italy's lack of territorial gains after World War ID. Widespread opposition to Italian monarch Victor Emmanuel IIIE. Concern over the fragile state of international relations in Europe
15. Which of these was NOT true of the Han dynasty?
A. It engaged in extensive trade with Europe.B. It introduced the civil service examination.C. It began early construction on the Great Wall.D. It created roads and canals to improve transportation.E. It funded bureaucracy and army through taxes.
16. What was the major goal of the Concert of Europe?
A. To redraw the boundaries of Europe after World War IB. To restrict the spread of communism to Eastern EuropeC. To prevent future revolutions by maintaining the status quoD. To establish new nation-states after the fall of the Roman EmpireE. To develop continental trade relationships and business partnerships
17. What inference can BEST be made from the information in the chart shown?
A. Slavic languages strongly influenced the development of the English language.B. The Roman occupation of England significantly influenced the development of the English language.C. The English language developed through a blend of Germanic, French, and Greek influences.D. The classical languages strongly influenced the development of both English and French.E. The English language primarily developed during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.
18. Why did the government installed in South Vietnam in 1954 by France and the United States ultimately fail?
A. The government was corrupt and unpopular with the Vietnamese people.B. The Vietnamese people preferred Ho Chi Minh's communist regime.C. The Vietnamese people distrusted the government because of its French backing.D. The government was unable to procure the resources necessary for independent existence.E. The Vietnamese people were angered by the government's communist policies.
19. In which way were the ancient Chinese philosophies of Confucianism and legalism MOST similar?
A. They divided educational standards by class.B. They emphasized the importance of strong government.C. They promoted respect and reverence of elders.D. They emphasized life in harmony with the natural world.E. They discouraged most independence of thought.
20. The concept of humanism was a key characteristic of the
A. EnlightenmentB. Protestant ReformationC. RenaissanceD. Scientific RevolutionE. Impressionism movement
* SAT is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.
All content of site and practice tests copyright © 2014 Max.sitemap
contactlink to us