Home > SAT Test > SAT Grammar Practice Tests
See All test questions
Take more free SAT Grammar Practice Tests available from cracksat.net.
1.  Laurence Olivier, born in 1907, was a respected English actor and director who rose to become one of the most famous men in cinema and stagecraft.  Although his family had no connections to the theater, Olivier studied at a drama school in London as a boy and achieved his first success in the theater in his early 20s.  By the 1940s, he was an established star, and co-directed at the Old Vic, one of the most important theaters in London.  His final major role was as King Lear, and critics glowed over his realistic, natural portrayal of the grieving old king.  Some of his most famous roles were as Shakespearean leads, but he displayed a great versatility in portraying a wide variety of characters over the course of his career.  For his vast critical and popular success, Olivier was honored with a knighthood and other national decorations during his lifetime.  He died at the age of 82 after a prolonged period of ill health, although he continued to work throughout his illnesses.
To make this paragraph most logical, sentence 4 should be placed
2.  "Techno" is a form of electronic dance music that was pioneered in Detroit, Michigan in the mid- 1980s.  The style and sounds of Techno emerged as a response to a variety of stimuli and pressures.  For one thing, the young musicians who created this style often had little disposable income with which to purchase expensive music gear, which is part of the reason for the stripped-down, minimal style of early techno.  Furthermore, the gear itself had many limitations.  For example, many of the drum machines and synthesizers only had enough "memory" to program short, repeating sections of music called "loops."  Most early techno tracks were built out of several electronic loops played over each other; traditionally, a drum machine, bass synthesizer, and lead synthesizer would form the core of the sound.  A third major influence was the sound of the city of Detroit itself.  Known for its industrial character and filled with machinery, Detroit can be seen in many ways as a physical embodiment of the "Techno sound."
To make this paragraph most logical, sentence 5 should be placed
3.  The comics simply would not be the same without Stan Lee.  Born in 1922, Lee was a comicbook author, editor, and publisher who rose to lead industry juggernaut Marvel Comics for twentyyears.  His cultural impact was enormous: he co-created famous superheroes such as Spider-Manand the X-Men, forced needed change upon the outdated regulations of the Comics Code Authority,and helped revolutionize the very essence and style of modern comic books.  Known as a generous,creative soul and revered by comic fans around the world, Stan Lee never failed to receive thunderousapplause at all of his public appearances.  Although the world lost Stan Lee in 2018, he will neverbe forgotten as long as his colorful heroes still spring off the silver screen and the printed page.
The writer wants to add the following sentence to the paragraph:
In his later years, blockbuster movies based on his characters hit the theaters, andLee was ever-popular for the cameo roles he made in many of these films.
The best placement for this sentence is
4.  The act of bending one knee to the ground is properly called "genuflecting," though in conversation it may be called simply "kneeling."  Traditionally considered a sign of deepest respect, this gesture is common in many cultures, religions, and ceremonies around the world and throughout history.  Alexander the Great was known for requiring genuflection in his court etiquette, and in medieval Europe, commoners were typically required to genuflect before kings and other high- ranking members of the noble class.  However, elderly people, pregnant women, or people in poor physical condition are often exempted from mandatory genuflection.  Instances of genuflecting in the modern era are seen in the traditional marriage proposal, in the Roman Catholic Church, and in presentations of a folded flag to the family members of a fallen veteran.  A failure to genuflect at the required moment may be interpreted as a sign of disrespect and dishonor.
5. A list of the richest Americans in history will be filled largely with self-made entrepreneurs, althoughthere will also be some appearances from heirs and heiresses to family fortunes. And, because ofAmerica's preeminence among the world's economy, the richest members of American society arefrequently among the richest men and women in the entire world. [A] John D. Rockefeller may havebeen the wealthiest American in history by percentage of the nation's total wealth (or "GDP") in histime. [B] His staggering fortune may have been worth as much as 2% of the entire country's nationalproduction at the time. [C] In 2018, Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon.com, became the richest man inmodern history, with an eye-popping net worth estimated at over 150 billion dollars. If there's onemajor lesson the list can teach, it's that if you want to reach the pinnacle of financial fortunes, it paysto either create an industry yourself, or to dominate one that already exists. [D]
Other noteworthy "richest Americans" include Andrew Carnegie, CorneliusVanderbilt, Bill Gates, and Henry Ford.
The sentence would most logically be placed at:
6.  The role of a navel architect is to handle the engineering and design of marine vessels and structures.  This can include working on a range of projects, from deep-sea oil platforms to the smallest of sailboats.  A seagoing vessel may be described as having a "fair" shape, which, in essence, means a shape that is "right for the job."  Required knowledge for a professional naval architect includes hydrodynamics, materials properties, and construction techniques.  Somewhere between an art and a science, the field of naval architecture still finds it difficult to quantify its principles into simple rules.  Given the continued importance of well-built vessels for both industrial and pleasure purposes, and the lack of well-quantified design principles, it seems likely that job prospects for talented young naval architects will remain relatively strong.
For the sake of logic and cohesion, the best placement for Sentence 3 would be
* SAT is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.
All content of site and practice tests copyright © 2016 Max.sitemap
contactlink to us