SAT Math Multiple Choice Question 782: Answer and Explanation
2. A lemonade stand's profit is given by the equation. Which of the following does the number 2 most likely represent?
- A. The price of one cup of lemonade
- B. The profit generated from the sale of one cup of lemonade
- C. The minimum number of cups of lemonade that must be sold to earn a profit
- D. The costs that must be recuperated before the lemonade stand earns any profits
Correct Answer: A
Category: Heart of Algebra / Linear Equations
Strategic Advice: In a real-world scenario, the slope of a line represents a unit rate and the y-intercept represents a flat fee or a starting amount.
Getting to the Answer: The profit equation is linear and is given in slope-intercept form ( ). The number 2 is the slope (m), which represents a unit rate. This means you can eliminate C and D because neither describes a rate of change. To choose between (A) and B, compare the descriptions to the equation-the 2 in the equation is the coefficient of c (which represents cups), so 2 is the price per cup of lemonade. Choice (A) is correct.