SAT Math Multiple Choice Question 83: Answer and Explanation
8. An advertisement for Royal Rat Rations states: "7 out of 8 veterinarians recommend Royal Rat Rations for your fancy rat." No other information about the data is provided by the company.
Based on this data, which of the following inferences is most valid?
- A. Royal Rat Rations provides the best nutrition for fancy rats.
- B. If you do not feed your rat Royal Rat Rations, your rat will be unhealthy.
- C. Only one veterinarian does not recommend Royal Rat Rations for your fancy rat.
- D. Of the veterinarians surveyed by Royal Rat Rations, the majority recommend Royal Rat Rations for your fancy rat.
Correct Answer: D
D You do not know how the survey is conducted, nor do you know how many veterinarians were surveyed (it may be the case that only 8 were surveyed). Therefore, you cannot infer that the survey accurately measures all veterinarians' beliefs about Royal Rat Rations. Choice (A) is not supported. First, you do not know what veterinarians believe in general, and second veterinarians may be recommending Royal Rat Rations for a reason other than its nutrition. Choice (B) is similarly not supported. Besides not knowing veterinarians' beliefs, this choice assumes that no other rat food is acceptable. Choice (C) is not supported because you do not know the sample size of the survey, nor is there any indication that there is only one veterinarian who does not recommend Royal Rat Rations. Choice (D) is the credited response. You know the opinions only of the veterinarians surveyed by Royal Rat Rations.