SAT Math Multiple Choice Question 864: Answer and Explanation
9. Frederick is a business major and is conducting a study to determine the effect ofhaving agendas for project meetings at large companies. He surveyed a randomly selectedgroup of 500 project managers for large companies in Boston, MA, and found substantialevidence of an association between the duration of a project meeting and whether anagenda was followed. Which of the following can Frederick conclude from this information?
- A. Use of a meeting agenda causes a decrease in meeting time at large companies in Boston,MA.
- B. Use of a meeting agenda causes a decrease in meeting time at large companies in theUnited States.
- C. There is an association between the use of a meeting agenda and the duration of meetingsat large companies in Boston, MA.
- D. There is an association between the use of a meeting agenda and the duration of meetingsat large companies in the United States.
Correct Answer: C
Category: Problem Solving and Data Analysis / Statistics and Probability
Strategic Advice: You cannot make assumptions beyond what the question provides, so analyze the information (and the answer choices) carefully. For example, if you're given information about a group of teenagers, you can't assume the same information applies to adults as well.
Getting to the Answer: Only large companies in Boston were included in the study, so Frederick cannot draw conclusions about large companies throughout the United States. Eliminate B and D. Frederick's findings revealed a link (an association) between the use of an agenda and a meeting's duration. However, an association alone does not prove causation, so eliminate A. This leaves (C) as the correct answer.