See All test questions
Take more free SAT sentence completion tests available from cracksat.net.
1. Although the rigors of ballet dancing are primarily -------, this art is also emotionally and spiritually -------.
A. illusory . . taxingB. exaggerated . . balancedC. physical . . demandingD. appealing . . indulgentE. strenuous . . dubious
2. Studies of ------- among turtles are sometimes ------- by the fact that the subjects live so long that researchers retire before the studies can be completed.
A. extinction . . enhancedB. longevity . . hamperedC. behavior . . beliedD. mortality . . bolsteredE. reproduction . . confirmed
3. A model of ------- behavior, Cunningham never ate or drank to excess.
A. temperateB. laconicC. duplicitousD. aestheticE. voluble
4. The entrepreneur had a well-deserved reputation for -------, having accurately anticipated many changes unforeseen by established business leaders.
A. prescienceB. sincerityC. avariceD. complicityE. mendacity
5. Scientists require observable data, not -------, to support a hypothesis; sound science is grounded in ------- results rather than speculation.
A. induction . . diminutiveB. experimentation . . pragmaticC. intuition . . fiscalD. bombast . . theoreticalE. conjecture . . empirical
6. The director complained that the sitcom's theme song was downright -------, having no more pep and vigor than a -------.
A. tedious . . jingleB. inchoate . . lullabyC. lugubrious . . dirgeD. facetious . . balladE. sprightly . . eulogy
7. The success of Notes of a Native Son ------- author James Baldwin as one of the most ------- essayists of his time.
A. buoyed . . irrelevantB. established . . prominentC. surrendered . . prolificD. decried . . cynicalE. categorized . . mundane
8. In many parts of the world, people use rice as a central rather than a ------- part of their daily diets.
A. pivotalB. ritualisticC. salientD. supplementaryE. solemn
9. Victor gained a reputation for being a ------- because he constantly bullied other children.
A. bunglerB. ruffianC. sticklerD. daredevilE. naysayer
10. Paradoxically, the senator was both a ------- and -------: she publicly defended the rights and wisdom of the people, but she often spoke with a disdainful air of superiority.
A. demagogue . . a maverickB. conservative . . an anarchistC. populist . . an elitistD. moderate . . a reactionaryE. partisan . . a snob
11. The geologist speculated that eons ago, before the area was -------, the present-day island was actually a hilltop in a vast forest.
A. inundatedB. situatedC. rejuvenatedD. supplantedE. excavated
12. The new vaccine is ------- preventing certain forms of pneumonia and should, therefore, be more widely ------- in order to prevent outbreaks of the disease.
A. required for . . constrainedB. unsuccessful in . . distributedC. instrumental in . . reconstitutedD. effective in . . administeredE. unverified for . . disseminated
13. In an effort to ------- the ------- theater, the troupe members contributed thousands of dollars to keep the playhouse operating.
A. qualify . . obsoleteB. salvage . . flounderingC. exacerbate . . defunctD. revitalize . . prosperousE. commandeer . . lucrative
14. In her writings about language, the poet Gloria Anzaldua celebrates the ------- of English and Spanish dialects spoken by Mexican Americans, arguing that such ------- lends an empowering flexibility to expression.
A. multiplicity . . varietyB. proliferation . . moderationC. ambivalence . . focusD. dearth . . depletionE. abridgment . . imitation
15. The mountain road was distinctly -------: it twisted back and forth along the contours of the hillside.
A. panoramicB. precipitousC. serpentineD. circumscribedE. retrograde
16. At the family reunion Hiroko found her cousin charming and gentle, the ------- of his formerly rude and overbearing self.
A. remnantB. antithesisC. consequenceD. extremityE. mainstay
17. His conduct at the state dinner was a cavalcade of blunders, one ------- following another until the evening ended.
A. queryB. gibeC. gaffeD. trystE. tribute
* SAT is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.
All content of site and practice tests copyright © 2014 Max.sitemap
contactlink to us