See All test questions
Take more free SAT chemistry practice tests available from cracksat.net.
1. Which of the following isotopes has the greatest number of neutrons?
A. 35ClB. 31PC. 40ArD. 41CaE. 14C
2. An atom has eight electrons in a 3d subshell. How many orbitals in this subshell have an unpaired electron?
A. 1B. 2C. 3D. 4E. 5
3. Which principal energy level has exactly four subshells?
4. An atom in the ground state has seven valence electrons. Which electron con??guration could represent the valence electron con??guration of this atom in the ground state?
A. 3s13p6B. 3s63p1C. 3s13p43d2D. 3s33p43d1E. 3s23p5
5. How many valence electrons are in an atom with the con??guration 1s22s22p63s23p2?
A. 6B. 5C. 4D. 3E. 2
6. Which electron conguration demonstrates an atom in the excited state?
A. 1s22s1B. 1s22s22p4C. 1s22s2D. 1s22s22p63s2E. 1s22s23s1
7. Which pair of symbols below show different isotopes of the same element?
A. 3918A and 3919RB. 6027X and 5928YC. 126L and 146LD. 3717X and 3717XE. 32E and 31G
8. Which of the following is not a conclusion Rutherford made from his experiment with alpha particles being shot at a thin sheet of gold foil?
A. An atom has a very small, compact nucleus.B. An atom is mainly empty space.C. An atom’s mass is concentrated in the nucleus.D. An atom has a very dense nucleus.E. An atom has a negatively charged nucleus.
9. Which atom is not paired with its correction and ionic charge?
A. Rb / Rb1-B. Mg / Mg2+C. F / F1-D. Li / Li1+E. Br / Br1-
10. Which of the following statements is false regarding sub-atomic particles?
A. The proton has a positive one charge.B. The neutron has no charge.C. The electrons are found in regions of the atom called orbitals.D. The electrons have a greater mass than the protons.E. Protons and neutrons are the nucleons of the atom.
11. Which is inconsistent with the concept of an isotope?
A. Same atomic numberB. Different number of neutronsC. Same mass numberD. Same name of the elementE. Same number of protons
12. A mysterious element has the following relative abundances:X-34 15% X-35 20% X-36 65%Which of the following is true?
A. The atomic mass of this element is closer to 34.1.B. The atomic mass of this element is closer to 34.9.C. The atomic mass of this element cannot be determined without knowing exactly what X is.D. A mass spectrophotometer would not be helpful in determining the percentages of the isotopes.E. The atomic mass of this element is approximately 35.5.
13. Which of the following ions will be the smallest in the isoelectronic series?
A. Osup>2–B. F1–C. NeD. Na1+E. Mg2+
14. What is the correct set of quantum num bers for the eighth electron that fills the orbitals in an atom of oxygen?
A. n = 2, l = 1, ml = –1, ms = –1/2B. n = 2, l = 1, ml = +1, ms = –1/2C. n = 2, l = 1, ml = +1, ms = +1/2D. n = 2, l = 0, ml = –1, ms = +1/2E. n = 1, l = 1, ml = +1, ms = –1/2
15. Which of the following is not true about the effective nuclear charge felt by the valance electrons of the following atoms?
A. Zeff for the valence electrons of Mg is 2+.B. Zeff for the valence electrons of Na is 2+.C. Zeff for the valence electrons of Be is 2+.D. Zeff for the valence electrons of Ne is 8+.E. Zeff for the valence electrons of Li is 1+.
* SAT is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.
All content of site and practice tests copyright © 2014 Max.sitemap
contactlink to us